My mom and I have been on a health kick lately, so we’ve been making things like this at home for dinner
and then eat ice cream cake for dessert. It’s funny taking photos of my mom while she’s cooking, because she loves setting things up a certain way (the ingredients below each have a whole piece next to it), she shows me every single ingredient she puts in before she tosses it in, and she always wants me to get the perfect picture. Love you, mom!
This is my mom’s recipe for lettuce wraps. You can also use ground chicken, but my mom opted for lean ground turkey instead.
Turkey Lettuce Wraps Recipe
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 1/2 cup of water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup of mushrooms (bella, shitake, portobello or cremini)
- 1/3 cup of chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon of chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon of hoisin
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil
- Iceburg lettuce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/4 cup of pine nuts or sesame seeds
- Saute garlic, shallots and ginger in a large oiled wok.
- On medium-high heat, add ground turkey and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add water chestnuts, pine nuts (or sesame seeds) and mushrooms to cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add hoisin, oyster sauce and sesame oil.
- Continue to cook until the meat is golden brown.
- Turn off the heat and top with scallions.
- Fill each lettuce cup with a few tablespoons of the filling.
- Fold from the bottom edge of each lettuce cup (the leafy side) and then fold the right and left sides in to keep the filling from falling out.Enjoy! 😉